Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Clausing 5914 has arrived

On 2007-12-28, Clark Magnuson wrote:
I remove and tighten the ring on the L00 with a stick and hammer.
The wood will not beat up the ring.

The rings on Clausings which I have seen have blind holes
drilled every so many degrees -- every 60 or 45 degrees, I think. They
accept a radial pin spanner. I use a dead-blow hammer to drive mine.
And if I am in a gearing which makes it easy for the chuck to turn the
spindle, I engage the back gear while keeping the pin in for direct
drive. Be sure to remember to undo this before applying power. With
your 2HP motor and (I believe) the variable speed pulley, you might have
enough torque to damage the back gears otherwise.

Of course -- some have milled notches instead of drilled holes,
and there you use a hook spanner instead.

Also -- be *sure* to put the nose protector on (and snug the
ring) before putting in the collet adaptor -- or you will have
difficulty getting the adaptor back out.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564