Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Clausing 5914 has arrived

In article ,
"Mike Henry" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
I now have possession of the lathe. It came with a 5C collet nose and
Royal lever closer, plus something like 140 collets, mostly Hardinge.
Also got the 3-jaw, 4-jaw, and dog-driver chucks, three driving dogs,
and the steady rest. No slotted faceplate or follow rest.

Seller also threw in a collection of side-milling cutters that I can use
in the Millrite.

Toolpost is funky, a wrench-activated sort-of aloris, but no pistons or
wedges. Also got lots of bits and holders, plus some knurlers.

Lots of spooge and dirt. Threads in particular need to be cleaned, to
allow free motion. The dog driver plate had some bits of aluminum stuck
to the L-00 taper, from tightening the plate down without first cleaning
the mating surfaces.

Motor is 3-phase 220/208-volt 2 HP, and appears to be original.

By the way, to remove a chuck, which way does one rotate the big ring
that grabs the thread on the L-00 taper? It's hard to turn in either
direction, probably from spooge and chips in the threads, and I'm
reluctant to press on without knowing the correct direction.

Rotate the ring clockwise (when looking at the spindle nose) to loosen the
chuck.

That worked. Thanks,

Joe Gwinn