Gunner

Default Gunner's medical bills

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:31:34 -0700, Robert Sturgeon
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:12:34 GMT, "Ryan"
wrote:

"Santa Cruz Mike" wrote in message
. ..

Tim.. the state doesn't reward... do you think they are just going to
let Gunner walk?

Are you trying to tell us that Gunner is going to be placed in prison for
theft if these bills are not paid? That is not going to happen. He will go
home. He will be allowed to make some small penitence which the state won't
touch. There are millions of people that 'owe' the state money, most of
them are not in prison for non-repayment. If the service is healthcare,
Section 8, etc....you get a free ride. If it is non-payment of taxes, you
get a trip to a jail cell. Let's say Gunner got $100K in treatment. He
can't pay any of it back unless he wins the lottery. Let's say his neighbor
runs some business and hides money. The neighbor owes the state $100K. The
neighbor gets caught and tried. The state still may not get their money,
but the neighbor has a felony conviction. Gunner on the other hand gets to
keep his guns, because the state doesn't try him for his felony theft of
services. Welcome to America.

I'm sure Gunner is not eligible for MediCal (California's
version of Medicaid). If he owes medical bills, he can
either work out payment plans with the providers, sell
assets to pay for them, or declare bankruptcy - all of which
are perfectly legitimate for someone in his position.

Correct. Im not eligible for any local, State for Federal aid. I
spent all day yesterday exploring my options, which come down to
selling everything I own, home, vehicle, etc etc, , and making them a
$15,000 payment..which is about the total of my entire assests, making
further payments for the rest of my life, and/or filing bankruptcy
while living in a cardboard box.

If I had become permanantly disabled, then I would qualify for various
programs.

Im also rather agast at the expense of the 4 medicines Im on. So far,
Im using up samples the doctor has given me, but when they are gone,
there is no more. I simply will not be able to pay for the meds, make
payments etc etc. Im exploring the costs of scripts from Canada and
Mexico at the moment.
In talking to a number of individuals, what it costs them for 1 month
in the US, can buy them 3 months out of Canada, and 6 months out of
Mexico. So I suspect Ill be making a road trip down to TJ in the next
couple weeks.

How do you all handle your meds that are not insurance covered?

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell