Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Pinging Harold & Susan

On 2007-12-27, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Hi Harold,

I followed your thread regarding diamond vs. silicon wheels. One point of
confusion. Steel should not be ground on diamond. How come the Drill
Doctor and my el-cheepo knife sharpener use diamond impregnated wheels? Is
it simply a matter of short life time and I buy a replacement wheel? Or
there alternative cutters for consumer quality products?

Hmm ... aside from the matter of speed which Harold covered (and
I think that the Drill Doctor is still pretty fast -- I could measure it
with a StroboTac, but it is also pretty small in diameter -- less than
an inch I think) -- but the Drill Doctor is *also* sold for carbide
masonry bits -- thus making the diamond necessary for that. Otherwise,
I would have prefered something like CBN. (Hmm ... how does that do in
sharpening carbide?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564