Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
geoff geoff is offline

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

In message . co.uk,
Jules writes
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:38:57 +0000, Tim Ward wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message . co.uk, at
10:45:15 on Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Jules
remarked:

(For more serious suggestions, can I add public transport and car
pooling?)

Both of those work when it's done properly. Like the tube in London, or
car pooling 9-5 office jobs when there's several of you in a suburb and
you all drive to the same office in the city.

Several of the things in TNP's list "work" in the sense of contributing to
changing things in the right direction. I think he's trying to claim that we
can do them all and it still won't be enough to "save the planet".

Yes, that was my way of reading the OP too - e.g. solar and wind power do
useful stuff in certain situations, but they're by no means the 'save the
planet' solution that some people appear to promote them as.

Just started reading an article in NS which opens saying that an area
half the size of texas in a sun drenched part of the world covered in PV
panels at 20% efficiency would be enough for global needs

.... during sunlight hours, of course

--
geoff