Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default GFCI Tripping Repeatedly?

On Dec 26, 1:06 pm, M Q wrote:
HerHusband wrote:
We recently remodeled my in-laws bathroom and, as per code, the entire 20
amp bathroom circuit is protected by a 20A GFCI outlet. Everything was
inspected and functions as it should.

Unfortunately, the GFCI is tripping occasionally when the bathroom vent fan
is turned "off". It never trips when turning on the fan, only when turning
it off. And, it may go a few weeks before it trips, and then suddenly trip
three times in a row. Then it'll work fine again for a few weeks.

I suspected a bad GFCI, so I replaced it with a new one, and also replaced
the switch that controls the fan. It doesn't seem to trip as often now, but
it tripped for me again last night when we were visiting.

The only remaining item seems to be the fan itself, but I'm curious if
there's some other possible cause I might be overlooking? The fan has been
installed for a few months now, so I probably can't return it at this
point.

I thought maybe condensation from moisture draining back through the vent
pipe (it had to be routed up over a beam to get out through the side wall).
But, the tripping doesn't really seem to be related to when the shower was
used recently.

Thoughts?

Anthony

I am skeptical that a properly working fan should trip a properly
working GFCI when the fan is turned off. If there is no ground fault
in the fan or switch, there can be no imbalance of currents (conservation
of electrons). A double pole switch should not make a difference.
I might suggest an intermittent ground fault in the
fan or switch when the fan is turned off.

Please let us know what the problem is/was when/if you figure it out.

Anthony-

Give MQ's theory a try. I would agree with his suggestion that you
might have an intermittent ground fault in the switch itself.

Cheap & easy to try it out. Just swap the switch with another SPST
from somewhere else in the house.

cheers
Bob