michael

Default Gunner's medical bills

This is a letter I wrote to local hospital after I received a bill
that I thought was stupid for simple food poisoning.

On April 25th, 2004 I went to the E.R. at Covenant Medical Center for
what I believed was food poisoning. I went right in since the E.R
wasn't busy. I arrived at about 8:00 am.
One of the first events to happen was a lady asked for my insurance
card.
One of the nurses asked me what the problems were and what I had to
eat. Another nurse gave me an I.V, something for nausea, and took some
blood for test. A doctor talked to me for 4 minutes and felt of my
stomach. I slept for 2 hours. When the I.V. was empty and the blood
test results found nothing serious. I was wheeled to the doors and
released at about 11:00am.

For the three hour visit to the E.R my insurance company was charged
$1,777.67. The insurance company gets a discount of $622.18 and paid
$724.39. I received a bill
from the hospital for $431.10. So the hospital gets $1155.49 for 3
hours, an I.V., nausea drug, and blood test. The insurance reported
the doctor bill to be $229.00 and paid $183.20. I received a bill for
$45.80. The blood test total was a bargain at $35.70.
..
I have a feeling that many people would say "If you don't like the
fees stay sick."
Those people would be missing my point. Just because you can hold
someone's health
for ransom doesn't mean you should. The money isn't the issue I can
pay the $476.90, the hospital and doctor bill, and I can pay the
$171.00 per month the insurance cost. I just don't see how the simple
procedures that were used can cost $2042.37.

Are the items I received really that expensive or is it more
inefficiency and greed?
I think some of this bill is due to inefficiency. The people with
insurance are paying for people without insurance. I think some of the
bill is greed Covenant charged $229.00 for a doctor to talk to me for
four minutes and feel my belly. Drug companies charging outrageous
amount for drugs. Insurance companies get big discounts.

Michael