Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Okay, how many of us are waiting for it to be warm enough togo play in the garage again.

RoyJ wrote:
Lots of projects out in the cold, damp, slushed up shop/garage are
getting ignored for a while. Too much slop brought in by the vehicles to
even fire up the heater, it just gets too humid.

Downstairs shop is toasty warm but pretty small. I can barely get to the
drill press because those 5 boxes of sensors, VFD's, DC motors controls,
relays, and such that I scored for free last summer are stacked in the
wrong spot.

But the body is still recovering from too much turkey and too many
relatives from yesterday.

Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me
saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this
situation
at the moment?

Wes

I have one shop with hydronic heat and the other has a propane trailer
furnace installed in the attic area. The trailer furnace was a free one
from a guy tearing down a couple old trailers. Just installed it
upstairs with the ductwork dropping below the rafters. Then some 4x10
ducts to the corners. Cold air return runs down the back wall behind the
workbench so it is out of sight.

The hydronic is real nice. No cold floor to walk/lay on when your
working under a vehicle and because I also installed a short loop out
under the apron and part of the driveway there is a nice clean area for
folks to park on. Hydronic is not good if you want heat NOW though as it
takes a while to heat all the thermal mass.
I installed a couple more heating systems in the shop as well. I have
the original boiler that has a gas burner on one end and an oil burner
on the other, then I put together a used oil burner unit with a heat
exchanger and installed a couple of LARGE electric water heaters as well.

--
Steve W.