Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Simon Finnigan Simon Finnigan is offline

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

"Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}" wrote in message
In message , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:

Feel free to add...
1. CFL lightbulbs.
2. Taxing 4x4s out of existence.
3. Recycling paper and glass.
4. Prince Charles.
5. Greenpeace.
6. FOE.
7. Windmills
8. Speed humps
9. Bicycles.
10. Compulsory vegetarianism. (compulsory homosexuality might: Now
there's a thought)
11. God.
12. Al Gore.
13. Switching off your 5W telly overnight.
14. Biofuel.
15. Hydrogen fuel.
16. Pretending climate change isn't happening.
17. Accepting that it is, but denying it's man made, with the implicit
corollary that that means nothing need/can be done about it.
18. Saving the whale/great crested newt/lesser spotted amoeba/...add
anything you like here.
19. Wave power.
20. Solar energy.
21. Banning aeroplanes.
22. Banning fox hunting.

....that's a starter

Add any more items of particularly pernicious greenwash ********...that
you like..

How about my server farm behind me? I leave my PCs (i.e. more than one) on
24/7... In winter it just reduces my heating bill.

As does my PC - it gets left on constantly, and it keeps one room warm
enough that the radiator is set to a minimum. Leave the door open and it
helps warm the whole house - maybe not when it`s -5 outside, but when it`s
just a bit nippy it can make the difference between the heating being on or
being off. I`ll have to sit down and do the sums, work out if it actually
saves me money based solely on the heating effect. I`m sure it`s better in
total cost because the parts are more reliable running 24/7 then constantly
turning on and off, but just in terms of not having the heating on and
burning a constant 200-300W from the PC.