Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary Ivan Vegvary is offline

Default Okay, how many of us are waiting for it to be warm enough to go play in the garage again.

"Wes" wrote in message
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying
play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this
situation
at the moment?

Wes

Wes, I'm here in the Northwest (Portland, OR area). We've been having highs
around 40° and lows around 36°. The part of my shop with the machinery and
play room (21ft x 60 ft) has hydronic heating installed. We added this shop
portion on to the existing shop and a casual conversation with somebody
pointed me in the direction of having the tubes installed before our slab
was poured. I keep the 21x60 area at 61° F. I used to run it at 55° but my
SWMBO said it was too cold to do her ceramics hobby. 61° is a little warm
for my taste and feels damned hot after walking through the ambient weather
to get to the shop. I also super insulated the walls and ceiling in
addition to 3 inches of foam under the slab. Probably costs me about $ 600
per year to keep it warm.

Downside: You can't really play with the thermostat. While it keeps it
dead on the temperature you desire, a request for a two degree raise would
probably take more than a day. I wish it weren't so. I would probably
lower the heat by about 10° if I knew my SWMBO wouldn't be using the area.
If I did lower it, it would take forever to raise it back up.

Ivan Vegvary