Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Okay, how many of us are waiting for it to be warm enough to go play in the garage again.

I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

TOO COLD? Hell, it's finally cooled off enough to be able go into the
shop in the daytime!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

TOO COLD? Hell, it's finally cooled off enough to be able go into the
shop in the daytime!

I figured I'd get that response from the Texas / Florida crowd!

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cranked up the torpedo heater and did some turning, some facing, some
milling, and some grinding (making a holder for a couple of grinding
wheel dressing diamonds I bought off of E-bay
http://tinyurl.com/yoz7rg ). Got one of HF's tool grinders for
Christmas and need to be able to true the wheels. Got company tonight
so I had to quit early to prepare....

Dave

Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

TOO COLD? Hell, it's finally cooled off enough to be able go into the
shop in the daytime!

I figured I'd get that response from the Texas / Florida crowd!

Wes

Try Baby Bear's shop. It's jussssst right. I think it's located around San
Diego.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 26, 5:34 pm, Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

Wes i'm in the OPPOSITE situation

And i'm in canada.

I need the weather to be either at 8C or higher or to NEVER go above 0

so i need the weather to be wormer than 8c or colder than -5 because i
need to cut the door and window recesses in my container shop.

and i need it to either be so cold that everything stays frozen and
doesn thaw and cause rust. or it need it to be warm enough to let
paint dry

so i'm barred form my shop for opposite reasons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying
play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this
situation
at the moment?

yea , I got the same problem so I move 2000 miles south and go fishin' every
day. Right now, my arm is killing me from all the yeloow tail i had to bring
in today VBG

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lots of projects out in the cold, damp, slushed up shop/garage are
getting ignored for a while. Too much slop brought in by the vehicles to
even fire up the heater, it just gets too humid.

Downstairs shop is toasty warm but pretty small. I can barely get to the
drill press because those 5 boxes of sensors, VFD's, DC motors controls,
relays, and such that I scored for free last summer are stacked in the
wrong spot.

But the body is still recovering from too much turkey and too many
relatives from yesterday.

Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:34:45 -0500, Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

I spent a couple of quality hours with the lathe today...but it's in the
basement. Making replacement parts for ill-fitting Christmas present
components, as it happens. Why the FARK am I supposed to be the QA
department?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:22:31 GMT, Dave Young wrote:
Cranked up the torpedo heater and did some turning, some facing, some
milling, and some grinding (making a holder for a couple of grinding
wheel dressing diamonds I bought off of E-bay

Any concerns with dumping all of that water vapor right into the shop?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

I am. When it goes below 60 degrees I start bitching and my ambition
goes down the tidy bowl swirl.

Once again I'm looking at the Mr. Heater MAXX LP heaters trying to
decide if I want to spend the money to get one and a big enough LP tank
to feed it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

TOO COLD? Hell, it's finally cooled off enough to be able go into the
shop in the daytime!

I figured I'd get that response from the Texas / Florida crowd!

Wes

TX here and my shop was just peachy in the summer when it was 106
inside.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:22:31 GMT, Dave Young wrote:
Cranked up the torpedo heater and did some turning, some facing, some
milling, and some grinding (making a holder for a couple of grinding
wheel dressing diamonds I bought off of E-bay

Any concerns with dumping all of that water vapor right into the shop?

That's certainly my concern which is why I'm looking at something like
the Mr. Heater MAXX which is properly vented.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I was in the shop for about 5 minutes - took a quick look around and
picked up the sisters-in-laws rocking chair and toted it to her truck.
But I was busy installing new toys for the beloved in the Kitchen - and
putting in titles in my book list data base.

Spend some prime time with beloved after Sister left with her two dogs -
calm home once again! Nice visit that was for sure, but nothing like just us.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:30:25 -0600, Pete C. wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:22:31 GMT, Dave Young wrote:
Cranked up the torpedo heater and did some turning, some facing, some
milling, and some grinding (making a holder for a couple of grinding
wheel dressing diamonds I bought off of E-bay

Any concerns with dumping all of that water vapor right into the shop?

That's certainly my concern which is why I'm looking at something like
the Mr. Heater MAXX which is properly vented.

Another approach might be a quartz-element radiant heater. Heats the
stuff in the room rather than the air, and won't add combustion
byproducts to the shop. I think you'll still go back through the
condensation temperature as it cools down though, but at least you're
not making the humidity problem any worse with your heat source. It's a
comfortable heat, too. When I'm working in my (heatable but unheated)
garage, I'll fire that up for an hour or three before I go out to work
on the car or tractor or whatever, and it's quite tolerable
(Wisconsin). All the metalworking tools, though, are in the basement,
so that's an entirely different situation. Biggest concern in an
in-house shop, is picking a cutting fluid that doesn't stink to the
point where anyone notices.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

I went out today and cut some material (Corian) on the table saw. It's
about 40 in the shop. I could fire up the 35,000btu torpedo heater,
(kerosene) but with a shop that is 22' x 48' feet and 13' celing, it
takes a long time to raise the temp 1 deg so I just put up with it.

If I'm going to run the lathe, I'll point the heater at it for about
two hours before I run it. When the machine warms up, the heat coming
from the machine makes it bearable to stand in front of.

I was one day from spraying new gelcoat on my sailboat in the shop
when the weather went cold. So I look at it every day and it is saying
" Please put my gelcoat on" but I can't do it below 70 so it'll have
to wait till June. Ugh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 01:25:34 GMT, Dan@ (Dan ) Dan@ wrote:
I went out today and cut some material (Corian) on the table saw. It's
about 40 in the shop. I could fire up the 35,000btu torpedo heater,
(kerosene) but with a shop that is 22' x 48' feet and 13' celing, it
takes a long time to raise the temp 1 deg so I just put up with it.

Thread hijack, sorry. Have you found a good adhesive for Corian? The
local rep won't sell me any because of an agreement with whoever makes
the stuff. I have enough, just not the right shape, and am fine joining
it myself if I can get the right stickum. Any suggestions?

If I'm going to run the lathe, I'll point the heater at it for about
two hours before I run it. When the machine warms up, the heat coming
from the machine makes it bearable to stand in front of.

Yup, radiant heat is very nice. Hydronic heating in the floor is really
really nice in a shop but is pretty much impossible to retrofit unless
you want to re-pour the floor.

I was one day from spraying new gelcoat on my sailboat in the shop
when the weather went cold. So I look at it every day and it is saying
" Please put my gelcoat on" but I can't do it below 70 so it'll have
to wait till June. Ugh.

These things happen...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:34:45 -0500, Wes wrote:

I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

Well...the forklift ran out of propane last night, then was a bitch to
get started today, so I could unload the Ranger 9 welder from my
trailer. Its 40F and dropping at midafternoon, so its not as bad as
those of you in the Snow States.

After having been gone for 5 weeks, then slept for the last 2
days...tommorow, cold or not (fire up the propane heaters etc)..Im
gonna do Stuff!!

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying
play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this
situation
at the moment?

Wes

Wes, I'm here in the Northwest (Portland, OR area). We've been having highs
around 40° and lows around 36°. The part of my shop with the machinery and
play room (21ft x 60 ft) has hydronic heating installed. We added this shop
portion on to the existing shop and a casual conversation with somebody
pointed me in the direction of having the tubes installed before our slab
was poured. I keep the 21x60 area at 61° F. I used to run it at 55° but my
SWMBO said it was too cold to do her ceramics hobby. 61° is a little warm
for my taste and feels damned hot after walking through the ambient weather
to get to the shop. I also super insulated the walls and ceiling in
addition to 3 inches of foam under the slab. Probably costs me about $ 600
per year to keep it warm.

Downside: You can't really play with the thermostat. While it keeps it
dead on the temperature you desire, a request for a two degree raise would
probably take more than a day. I wish it weren't so. I would probably
lower the heat by about 10° if I knew my SWMBO wouldn't be using the area.
If I did lower it, it would take forever to raise it back up.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:34:45 -0500, Wes wrote:

I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

I'm waiting for enough of the white stuff so I can start the eight
(Tecumseh) ponies and toss the accumulation from my eight car parking
lot over the hedge onto the city boulevard, then clear half the back
yard so puppy can go puddle without having to get her tummy too cold.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-26, Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

I was, but not since last year with my homemade 10 kW garage heater.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Garage-Heater/

Takes a few minutes to warm up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:31:44 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I was in the shop for about 5 minutes - took a quick look around and
picked up the sisters-in-laws rocking chair and toted it to her truck.
But I was busy installing new toys for the beloved in the Kitchen - and
putting in titles in my book list data base.

Spend some prime time with beloved after Sister left with her two dogs -
calm home once again! Nice visit that was for sure, but nothing like just us.

Father had an expression, relatives make me twice glad; glad to see
them come and glad to see them go.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:22:31 GMT, Dave Young wrote:
Cranked up the torpedo heater and did some turning, some facing, some
milling, and some grinding (making a holder for a couple of grinding
wheel dressing diamonds I bought off of E-bay

Any concerns with dumping all of that water vapor right into the shop?

That's certainly my concern which is why I'm looking at something like
the Mr. Heater MAXX which is properly vented.

Another approach might be a quartz-element radiant heater. Heats the
stuff in the room rather than the air, and won't add combustion
byproducts to the shop. I think you'll still go back through the
condensation temperature as it cools down though, but at least you're
not making the humidity problem any worse with your heat source.

That's the point of the Mr. Heater MAXX, it's a regular permanent vented
furnace so there are no combustion products going into the shop and it's
on a thermostat i.e. you keep the shop at a reasonable temperature all
the time. It also doesn't take much power which is good since even with
a 125A sub to the shop, that can get pretty well eaten up by the
Syncrowave or the plasma cutter (and it's support).

It's a
comfortable heat, too. When I'm working in my (heatable but unheated)
garage, I'll fire that up for an hour or three before I go out to work
on the car or tractor or whatever, and it's quite tolerable
(Wisconsin). All the metalworking tools, though, are in the basement,
so that's an entirely different situation. Biggest concern in an
in-house shop, is picking a cutting fluid that doesn't stink to the
point where anyone notices.

The shop is 80' from the house, so stink isn't an issue. All the tools
are in the shop so I want to maintain a consistent temperature, like 60
or so, since I start to bitch below 60 degrees.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes writes:

I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

I live about 50 miles north of the Mexican border. My son and I
finished installing the new garage door today (and will get the opener
on it tomorrow). Which means that either late tomorrow or the day
after I get to go play with the new MIG welder Santa brought me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:51:55 -0500, Gerald Miller wrote:

I'm waiting for enough of the white stuff so I can start the eight
(Tecumseh) ponies and toss the accumulation from my eight car parking
lot over the hedge onto the city boulevard, then clear half the back
yard so puppy can go puddle without having to get her tummy too cold.

Ahhh...every Tecumseh engine I've had, has been an absolute bitch to
start in the cold. Briggs for winter, Tecumseh for winter. Kohler for
anytime.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27 Dec 2007 03:42:51 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Ahhh...every Tecumseh engine I've had, has been an absolute bitch to
start in the cold. Briggs for winter, Tecumseh for winter. Kohler for
anytime.

Bah..."tecumseh for summer" I meant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This one appeared on craigslist.com this afternoon. Had to stop and
think about it. Infra red, properly vented, much closer clearances to
combustibles than the last couple I looked into.
http://www.superiorradiant.com/page.asp?page_id=25

Still thinking on a 100K BTU hanging heater. I can get a free used
standard floor furnace but the cost of the venting and gas pipe is the
same for the el-cheapo solution vs doing it right.

Dave Hinz wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-26, Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

I was, but not since last year with my homemade 10 kW garage heater.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Garage-Heater/

Takes a few minutes to warm up.

To maximize the airflow from the undersized fan, there's no guards of any
sort. It's self cleaning too, any dirt/dust/bags/leaves that make it in
just burn up on the heating elements, then the embers clear out the front.

How much for two of these?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27 Dec 2007 03:42:51 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:51:55 -0500, Gerald Miller wrote:

I'm waiting for enough of the white stuff so I can start the eight
(Tecumseh) ponies and toss the accumulation from my eight car parking
lot over the hedge onto the city boulevard, then clear half the back
yard so puppy can go puddle without having to get her tummy too cold.

Ahhh...every Tecumseh engine I've had, has been an absolute bitch to
start in the cold. Briggs for winter, Tecumseh for winter. Kohler for
anytime.

This one is 22 years old - starts in two pulls every time (elecfric
start died after five years of seldom being used, and I haven't
bothered to try to fix it) provided it gets gas line anti-freeze in
every 2 gallon can of gas, and gets run for at least ten minutes every
week. We used to go to Florida for February, and heaven help us if we
had snow in March because Junior wouldn't start it while we were away.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-26, Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

I was, but not since last year with my homemade 10 kW garage heater.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Garage-Heater/

Takes a few minutes to warm up.

To maximize the airflow from the undersized fan, there's no guards of any
sort. It's self cleaning too, any dirt/dust/bags/leaves that make it in
just burn up on the heating elements, then the embers clear out the front.

How much for two of these?

Actually, as of a while ago there is a guard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 26, 4:34*pm, Wes wrote:
I went out to the garage today. *The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. *How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

No problem in southern CA.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

What a lucky fellow indeed!

Very smart to embed the piping when building the garage / shop.

We're just a bit south of you and our shop space (the garage, actually)
was here when we bought the house, so no opportunity for hydronic heat

We did add a 100K BTU suspended gas heater that brings the workspace
(24x24') up to about 65 in 15 minutes or so and takes no floor space. It
does take a while longer for the tools and machinery to come up to
temperature though.

Also we insulated the ceiling and 3 of the 4 walls so far (waiting to do
drywall and insulation at the same time on wall 4, so we move stuff only
once)

Makes for a very comfy shop

Carla
Discourage tool theft: MarkMyStuff.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:34:45 -0500, Wes wrote:

I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

Well...the forklift ran out of propane last night, then was a bitch to
get started today, so I could unload the Ranger 9 welder from my
trailer. Its 40F and dropping at midafternoon, so its not as bad as
those of you in the Snow States.

After having been gone for 5 weeks, then slept for the last 2
days...tommorow, cold or not (fire up the propane heaters etc)..Im
gonna do Stuff!!

Gunner

You wuss! I took the dogs out for a walk last night in the 20 deg. at 2 AM. I ran into my neighbor up the
street and we chuckled when we noticed we were wearing the same outfits. Down parka, gym shorts and fuzzy
bedroom slippers...typical in Ohio.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:34:45 -0500, Wes wrote:

I went out to the garage today. The machines were waiving at me saying play
with me, play with me, but it was too cold. How many are in this situation
at the moment?

Wes

It's shop season in MN! Summertime is for playing at and in the lake.
100K BTU Reznor gas unit heater, ceiling mounted so it takes no usable
space and vented so it adds no humidity to the garage in which there
hasn't been room for a car for 15 years.

Nice thing about -40 is that ya don't have to ask if it's degF or
degC.

It's actually a rather balmy +20 outside, been spending some quality
time with Mr. Toro rearranging snow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

I was in the shop for about 5 minutes - took a quick look around and
picked up the sisters-in-laws rocking chair and toted it to her truck.
But I was busy installing new toys for the beloved in the Kitchen - and
putting in titles in my book list data base.

Spend some prime time with beloved after Sister left with her two dogs -
calm home once again! Nice visit that was for sure, but nothing like just us.

Father had an expression, relatives make me twice glad; glad to see
them come and glad to see them go.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada- Hide quoted text -

Smart father-in-law...lucky son-in-law.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27 Dec 2007 03:42:51 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:51:55 -0500, Gerald Miller wrote:

I'm waiting for enough of the white stuff so I can start the eight
(Tecumseh) ponies and toss the accumulation from my eight car parking
lot over the hedge onto the city boulevard, then clear half the back
yard so puppy can go puddle without having to get her tummy too cold.

Ahhh...every Tecumseh engine I've had, has been an absolute bitch to
start in the cold. Briggs for winter, Tecumseh for winter. Kohler for
anytime.

The Tecumseh "winter king" engine starts every time with one pull --
if and only if you maintain the carburetor. They are quite fussy
about that but otherwise about as reliable as gravity. I've rebuilt
the carb on my Toro every 5 years for the past 25 years, that's worked
fer me. The rebuild kit is about 20 bux.

I keep it outdoors. Started on first pull again today, just as it did
after its summer vacation in the shed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

TOO COLD? Hell, it's finally cooled off enough to be able go into the
shop in the daytime!

I figured I'd get that response from the Texas / Florida crowd!

Wes

TX here and my shop was just peachy in the summer when it was 106
inside.

It's just a garage in Texas.

But without it, life would suck.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dan wrote:

I went out today and cut some material (Corian) on the table saw. It's
about 40 in the shop. I could fire up the 35,000btu torpedo heater,
(kerosene) but with a shop that is 22' x 48' feet and 13' celing, it
takes a long time to raise the temp 1 deg so I just put up with it.

If I'm going to run the lathe, I'll point the heater at it for about
two hours before I run it. When the machine warms up, the heat coming
from the machine makes it bearable to stand in front of.

I was one day from spraying new gelcoat on my sailboat in the shop
when the weather went cold. So I look at it every day and it is saying
" Please put my gelcoat on" but I can't do it below 70 so it'll have
to wait till June. Ugh.

Do you have pics of your boat, Dan?

Mine is;
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/c18-cab.htm#top

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...

snip

You wuss! I took the dogs out for a walk last night in the 20 deg. at 2
AM. I ran into my neighbor up the street and we chuckled when we noticed
we were wearing the same outfits. Down parka, gym shorts and fuzzy
bedroom slippers...typical in Ohio.

Holy cripes...and these are the people, even more than the people in
Florida, who decided the last presidential election...

--
Ed Huntress