Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Almost round - almost round.jpg (0/1)

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:18:43 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

This piece is nothing special, just wanted to illustrate a point..

I think that in turning, as well as other art forms, knowing when to stop is as
important as knowing how to make or do the work..

Could I have made the piece really, really round?
Sure.. but besides being smaller and maybe bottom heavy, I think it would be
less interesting....

I noticed several years and a wife ago that it's very true with painters..
My ex-wife would do what I thought was a nice painting and then try to make it
better by adding more detail, color, shadow, whatever... Usually it hurt more
than helped...

I'm not trying to be Arch or Charlie here, just curious if anyone else had
opinions about "when to stop" or "when it's finished"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

You are right. You have to know when to stop. My most impressive
paintings were done in less than 30 minutes! When I learned to fuss
less, my talents are revealed and the results greatly improved. I
think this is true with mudding drywall.