Posted to alt.home.repair
FL FL is offline

Default Dishwasher Dispenser Doesn't Open Until Dry Cycle

On Dec 25, 4:23 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
FL wrote:
I have a Kenmore Elite Dishwasher (which I believe is a rebadged
Bosch) that's about a year or 2 old and I noticed that the soap
dispensernow doesn't open until the drying cycle. There is most of
the dishwasher gel still running down the inside of the door when I
open the dishwasher to empty it. So, the soap obviously wasn't used
during the wash cycles.

Thedispenserdoor isn't stuck closed because it does open
consistently, but during the dry cycle instead of the wash cycle. I
rewashed the dishes a second time and it happened both times.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or does it need to repaired by
the technician?

Forget it. Just chunk one of those solid dishwasher pellets in when you
close the door.

I decided to try resetting it. I couldn't access the power plug so I
went to the circuit breaker and turned it off and on. I ran another
load of dishes and this time there was no soap running down the door,
so it looks like it opened earlier and was washed away.
I also just found out that the Kenmore Elite models have a 2 year
warranty, so it's still under warranty. I'll call them it it happens
again and I'll think of getting an extended warranty for another
couple of years. If it breaks later than that, I'll just replace it
and go with a more reliable model.

The main reason I got this model is because it's supposed to be super
quiet. The wash cycles are almost silent, but I still hear way too
much noise coming out of the sink when it drains the water, so it
wasn't worth paying extra for the quiet dishwasher.
It has a delay program, but I don't use it because there is no pre-
heating and if it starts in the middle of the night, it will be using
cold water in the first cycle until new hot water from the water
heater reaches the kitchen.
Next time I'll get one with water pre-heating and just use delay
start instead of getting a "quiet" dishwasher..