Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where did the advocates of "buss" vs. "bus" go?

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:49:54 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

In the present era of fast-speak/mutter, where all words are subject to
shortening (butchering) for verbal expression, we might expect to hear
kon-dwit, instead of conduit.

I keep hearing the word "interestingly", expressed as in-ter-sting-lee.. as
in interstingly enough, the statistics show a decrease in mental function.

WB

Then there is the various pronouciations of the word "nuclear"G

Gunner

metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Here is another screwy word. "Conduit" in my life has always been
pronounced kon-doo-it. Yet if you look in the dictionary, the preferred
pronunciation is kon-dit or kun-dit, and the older dictionaries do not
even
list kon-doo-it at all. (Websters 1954 as an example.)

The current on line Miriam Webster however shows the first pronunciation
as
kon-doo-it, but the OED on line shows the odd ball one.

could it be that the writers of dictionaries goof? Or does any one
pronounce
it kon-dit?

--
Roger Shoaf

"Loren Amelang" wrote in message
Back when I was in engineering school, I absorbed the idea that people
in the know spelled it "buss", as in bussbar or PC buss. After over an
hour of Googling yesterday, I had to change my position - I couldn't
find a single advocate for "buss", not even as an anachronism. All the
references I could find said "buss" has always been wrong for
electrical or data use, it has only ever properly referred to kissing.
Did anyone else learn that "ss" was correct? Was it a regional thing?
A moment in time preceding the memory of anyone authoring web pages?

Loren

(Apologizing for stretching topicality, but this is the best place I
can think of to ask...)

Aha! The spell check in Agent recommends "buss bar". I'm not totally
imagining the two-s form... Unless they are thinking about a drinking
establishment where people kiss a lot...

for torturing the cat." Gunner