Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Where did the advocates of "buss" vs. "bus" go?

Back when I was in engineering school, I absorbed the idea that people
in the know spelled it "buss", as in bussbar or PC buss. After over an
hour of Googling yesterday, I had to change my position - I couldn't
find a single advocate for "buss", not even as an anachronism. All the
references I could find said "buss" has always been wrong for
electrical or data use, it has only ever properly referred to kissing.
Did anyone else learn that "ss" was correct? Was it a regional thing?
A moment in time preceding the memory of anyone authoring web pages?

Loren

(Apologizing for stretching topicality, but this is the best place I
can think of to ask...)

Aha! The spell check in Agent recommends "buss bar". I'm not totally
imagining the two-s form... Unless they are thinking about a drinking
establishment where people kiss a lot...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have always used 'buss' for such things as describing data 'buss', etc.

However, everything that I have ever learned including decency, manners,
common-sense, upward-mobility, etc., is now all for naught as it all has
been run through an inverter.

j/b

"Loren Amelang" wrote in message
Back when I was in engineering school, I absorbed the idea that people
in the know spelled it "buss", as in bussbar or PC buss. After over an
hour of Googling yesterday, I had to change my position - I couldn't
find a single advocate for "buss", not even as an anachronism. All the
references I could find said "buss" has always been wrong for
electrical or data use, it has only ever properly referred to kissing.
Did anyone else learn that "ss" was correct? Was it a regional thing?
A moment in time preceding the memory of anyone authoring web pages?

Loren

(Apologizing for stretching topicality, but this is the best place I
can think of to ask...)

Aha! The spell check in Agent recommends "buss bar". I'm not totally
imagining the two-s form... Unless they are thinking about a drinking
establishment where people kiss a lot...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Loren Amelang wrote:
Back when I was in engineering school, I absorbed the idea that people
in the know spelled it "buss", as in bussbar or PC buss.

I thought everybody knew that engineers can't spell. g

After over an
hour of Googling yesterday, I had to change my position - I couldn't
find a single advocate for "buss", not even as an anachronism. All the
references I could find said "buss" has always been wrong for
electrical or data use, it has only ever properly referred to kissing.
Did anyone else learn that "ss" was correct? Was it a regional thing?
A moment in time preceding the memory of anyone authoring web pages?

"Bus" is a shorted form of "omnibus" from Latin, meaning "for all" -- i.e. in
this context, one bar for all current, or one wire or set of wires for all
signals.

"Buss" has a completely different etymology, and does not mean (and AFAIK has
never meant) the same as "bus" in any sense. That of course is not the same as
saying that people who don't know any better do not misuse "buss" when they
meant "bus".

My guess is that the confusion arises from the fact that the plural of "bus"
can be spelled either "buses" or "busses". The latter spelling is more
commonly applied to plural bars or signal wires than to plural mass transit
conveyances, and it's easy to make the mistake of supposing that the singular
is "buss" rather than "bus".

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 17:32:50 -0800, Loren Amelang wrote:
Back when I was in engineering school, I absorbed the idea that people
in the know spelled it "buss", as in bussbar or PC buss. After over an
hour of Googling yesterday, I had to change my position - I couldn't
find a single advocate for "buss", not even as an anachronism. All the
references I could find said "buss" has always been wrong for
electrical or data use, it has only ever properly referred to kissing.

I learned it as "buss" and still type it that way from time to time.

Did anyone else learn that "ss" was correct? Was it a regional thing?
A moment in time preceding the memory of anyone authoring web pages?

I think, linguistically, it came from the electrical buss bar, and a
computer bus(s) being functionally similar inherited the name.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jusme" wrote in message
I have always used 'buss' for such things as describing data 'buss', etc.

However, everything that I have ever learned including decency, manners,
common-sense, upward-mobility, etc., is now all for naught as it all has
been run through an inverter.

j/b

I'm picking up on your 'decency & manners'.
Everybody now chews with their mouth open and wears hats indoors. I guess
it's not really earth shaking, but yes, irritating if you were raised to a
different norm. I just try to close my eyes.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!!!!

Ivan Vegvary

BTW, I still remember when it was aluminium and not aluminum.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I always wondered if that came from Buss Fuses...

(I was recently very disappointed to learn that the phrase 'under way'
has nothing to do with weighing anchor, and my customary spelling of
'under weigh' was completely wrong)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
I always wondered if that came from Buss Fuses...

(I was recently very disappointed to learn that the phrase 'under way'
has nothing to do with weighing anchor, and my customary spelling of
'under weigh' was completely wrong)

Buss is an archaic alternate spelling for bus, according to the OED. It may
be something like "gauge" and "gage." One is listed as an alternate spelling
of the other, but "gage" has come to be specialized to the machining trades
for the most part.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-24, Loren Amelang wrote:
Back when I was in engineering school, I absorbed the idea that people
in the know spelled it "buss", as in bussbar or PC buss. After over an
hour of Googling yesterday, I had to change my position - I couldn't
find a single advocate for "buss", not even as an anachronism. All the
references I could find said "buss" has always been wrong for
electrical or data use, it has only ever properly referred to kissing.
Did anyone else learn that "ss" was correct? Was it a regional thing?
A moment in time preceding the memory of anyone authoring web pages?

Well ... consider that one of the major makers of fuses is
"Buss", and has been for a *long* time.

And I've always believed it to be the correct spelling.

But I can't find any support in the OED (Oxford English
Dictionary) -- not even in the newer supplement volume.

Loren

(Apologizing for stretching topicality, but this is the best place I
can think of to ask...)

Aha! The spell check in Agent recommends "buss bar". I'm not totally
imagining the two-s form... Unless they are thinking about a drinking
establishment where people kiss a lot...

:-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is another screwy word. "Conduit" in my life has always been
pronounced kon-doo-it. Yet if you look in the dictionary, the preferred
pronunciation is kon-dit or kun-dit, and the older dictionaries do not even
list kon-doo-it at all. (Websters 1954 as an example.)

The current on line Miriam Webster however shows the first pronunciation as
kon-doo-it, but the OED on line shows the odd ball one.

could it be that the writers of dictionaries goof? Or does any one pronounce
it kon-dit?

--
Roger Shoaf

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:26:09 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
t...
I always wondered if that came from Buss Fuses...

(I was recently very disappointed to learn that the phrase 'under way'
has nothing to do with weighing anchor, and my customary spelling of
'under weigh' was completely wrong)

Buss is an archaic alternate spelling for bus, according to the OED. It may
be something like "gauge" and "gage." One is listed as an alternate spelling
of the other, but "gage" has come to be specialized to the machining trades
for the most part.

Only in those colonies where they can't spell!

:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

2002 edition of the NEC book lists busbar, busway, cablebus. All with
one s in bus and all as one word. Although I too thought it was buss.

wrote:

Back when I was in engineering school, I absorbed the idea that people
in the know spelled it "buss", as in bussbar or PC buss. After over an
hour of Googling yesterday, I had to change my position - I couldn't
find a single advocate for "buss", not even as an anachronism. All the
references I could find said "buss" has always been wrong for
electrical or data use, it has only ever properly referred to kissing.
Did anyone else learn that "ss" was correct? Was it a regional thing?
A moment in time preceding the memory of anyone authoring web pages?

Loren

(Apologizing for stretching topicality, but this is the best place I
can think of to ask...)

Aha! The spell check in Agent recommends "buss bar". I'm not totally
imagining the two-s form... Unless they are thinking about a drinking
establishment where people kiss a lot...

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the present era of fast-speak/mutter, where all words are subject to
shortening (butchering) for verbal expression, we might expect to hear
kon-dwit, instead of conduit.

I keep hearing the word "interestingly", expressed as in-ter-sting-lee.. as
in interstingly enough, the statistics show a decrease in mental function.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the era I grew up "gay" meant happy, joyful. Now the word means
anything but that and the people referenced the the word are anything
but "gay" in the old meaning.

"jusme" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"NewsGroups" spar@plaus wrote in message
. ..
In the era I grew up "gay" meant happy, joyful. Now the word means
anything but that and the people referenced the the word are anything
but "gay" in the old meaning.

I think the word was always kind of gay, even "back in the day".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:49:54 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

In the present era of fast-speak/mutter, where all words are subject to
shortening (butchering) for verbal expression, we might expect to hear
kon-dwit, instead of conduit.

I keep hearing the word "interestingly", expressed as in-ter-sting-lee.. as
in interstingly enough, the statistics show a decrease in mental function.

WB

Then there is the various pronouciations of the word "nuclear"G

Gunner

[...]

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 25, 9:50*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Then there is the various pronouciations of the word "nuclear"G

Gunner

Like Jimmy Carter's pronounciation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucular

I wonder if Rickover started it and no one including Eisenhower dared
to correct him.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Then there is the various pronouciations of the word "nuclear"G

Gunner.... don't you mean "are" rather than "is"... since "pronunciations"
(not pronounciations) is in the plural form....(snicker)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" writes:

In the present era of fast-speak/mutter, where all words are subject
to shortening (butchering) for verbal expression, we might expect to
hear kon-dwit, instead of conduit.

You say that like the present era is any different from all those
previous? There's a reason Worcestershire is pronounce Werstersher or
Wooster.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 06:28:11 GMT, "toolman946 via CraftKB.com"
u40139@uwe wrote:

Then there is the various pronouciations of the word "nuclear"G

Gunner.... don't you mean "are" rather than "is"... since "pronunciations"
(not pronounciations) is in the plural form....(snicker)

True enough. Mea culpa

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:51:21 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

u40139@uwe wrote:

Then there is the various pronouciations of the word "nuclear"G

Gunner.... don't you mean "are" rather than "is"... since "pronunciations"
(not pronounciations) is in the plural form....(snicker)

True enough. Mea culpa

Then again, his question should have been punctuated as such, too.
I love it when someone makes more errors criticizing others than the
others made the first time. g

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:59:57 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Dec 25, 9:50*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

Then there is the various pronouciations of the word "nuclear"G

Gunner

Like Jimmy Carter's pronounciation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucular

I wonder if Rickover started it and no one including Eisenhower dared
to correct him.

That'll be Like Jimmy Carter's _pronunciation_?

:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:44:04 +0000, Mark Rand wrote:

That'll be Like Jimmy Carter's _pronunciation_?

:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

New year's resolution:-
"Read all the posts in the thread before repeating what others have said"

I blame it on a bad year at work...

Mark Rand
RTFM