Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default GFCI Tripping Repeatedly?

On Dec 25, 9:08 am, HerHusband wrote:
I have had trouble with motor loads tripping GFI's.
The fact that it trips when the fan is turned "off" leads me to
believe what you're seeing is not a true ground fault (current leakage
to ground) but "merely" a difference between the instantaneous
currents on the hot & neutral wires.

I was afraid of something like that. At this point, there's not much I can
do to rewire the fan to be off the GFCI.

Is the fan / switch wiring such that you can easily install a DPST
switch and switch the hot & the neutral to the fan?

Yes, I could install a DPST, but I can't say I've seen them in stores? Then
again, I've never really been looking for them.

Anthony

Anthony-

If you have a Home Depot near by, they probably have the DPST

here's a link to listing of the Leviton double pole products (white),
HD (at least in my area) stocks Leviton products

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/xxlcf...20&st=kw&cpg=0

the 1202-2W switch looks to be the one you'd want.

The DPST solution will only work IF the neutral to the fan comes from
the switch box & can be safely broken there.

cheers
Bob