Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Loren Amelang Loren Amelang is offline

Default Where did the advocates of "buss" vs. "bus" go?

Back when I was in engineering school, I absorbed the idea that people
in the know spelled it "buss", as in bussbar or PC buss. After over an
hour of Googling yesterday, I had to change my position - I couldn't
find a single advocate for "buss", not even as an anachronism. All the
references I could find said "buss" has always been wrong for
electrical or data use, it has only ever properly referred to kissing.
Did anyone else learn that "ss" was correct? Was it a regional thing?
A moment in time preceding the memory of anyone authoring web pages?

Loren

(Apologizing for stretching topicality, but this is the best place I
can think of to ask...)

Aha! The spell check in Agent recommends "buss bar". I'm not totally
imagining the two-s form... Unless they are thinking about a drinking
establishment where people kiss a lot...