Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Oil Filled Radiator

In article ,
"DIY" writes:
"John" wrote:
Are these OK for batroom use? My Mums bathroom is very cold at the moment
(obviously). She is toying with the idea of a De Longhi radiator with a
hole drilled through the wall and plugged into a socket on the landing.
If I cut the plug off and drill a hole for the cable and re attach the
plug will it be safe using the rad in this situation. I was thinking of
shortening the cable so there would be no chance of it finding it's way
into the bath.

Personally I would only fit a heater that was designed for bathroom use, and
I don't know whether this applies to the De Longhi. Have you thought about
installing a bathroom ceiling heat and light unit? You just replace the
existing ceiling light with one of these:
http://www.ryness.co.uk/ProductDetai...ProductID=1115

Gosh -- it's 40 years since I've seen one of those.
The one in the picture looks like it would fail a PAT test
as you can touch the silica glass element tube (which counts
as a live part for PAT test purposes) through the grill, so
it's not IP2X.

Personally, I like wall mounted fan heaters for bathrooms.
Trouble is that pressure to reduce prices means they all
seem to be fitted with crap quality pull-cord switches.
I would be tempted to fit a separate pullcord switch to
control the heater (a shower pullcord switch would be fine).

--
Andrew Gabriel