Sue

Default Gunner: I'm back

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:31:44 -0500, George
wrote:

GeoffH wrote:

snip

Oh..and I will be quitting smoking (or trying really hard) as I need
lead a bit more healthy a life style. Shrug..this is gonna be a total
bitch and will likely be harder than undergoing the other stuff..I
have quit 14 times before...sigh...

You WILL NOT regret this move.
I didn't.
It reached fever pitch for me about 3 weeks after getting out of
hospital.
Sunday evening around 8pm my nerves where jangling from nicotine
deprivation. Ready to climb up the wall.
Decided to go to our corner shop/store to buy a pack of 10 smokes just
to kill the craving.
Got to the shop and thank God it was closed.
Took this as a sign and did not walk the mile or so into town to local
supermarket.
Cravings stopped there and then.
For the next couple of years it was just a case of "something missing"
after a meal or coffee etc, all craving gone.
After 4 years just a total relief that I had stopped smoking.
Absolutely the best thing I could have done!!
Now I cannot stand being in a smokey room or even around anyone that
is or has smoked.
You will know what I mean in the months and years to come.
This intense dislike grew and didn't happen overnight.

I wonder how common this dislike is in ex-smokers.

Some ex-smokers are really verbally obnoxious. I can understand not
wanting to smell the smoke or be around it for whatever reason, but
most seem to make it their life's work to stop everyone else from
smoking, too, regardless of whether the smoking is taking place in
their vicinity. It really isn't necessary for them to go on and on
about the evils of smoking as I'm pretty sure we all know them by now.
It's nothing but sanctimoniousness. Sorta like someone who has found
a new religion. I'd quite once for 8 years and never criticized
anyone for their choice to smoke. My ex-husband continued to smoke
but I didn't mind (I minded him but not his smoking).
I have a friend who quit 6 years ago (3 packs a day) and she never
says anything to anyone and actually likes the smell.
Anyway, good luck to Gunner in the battle. I suspect that sometime
soon I'll be in his shoes. And, to whomever may wish to reply to that
statement, it's none of your business. )
Sue
(I've been trying to pare down the NGs that these posts go to but I
don't know from where George is posting and believe it to be rude to
respond to someone when they can't see the response)