Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Just how dificult can fixing a boiler be (long)?

"clot" wrote in message
news
Skipweasel wrote:
In article , says...
No amount of expoereince would have helped that one, and apart from
the ability to read a circuit diagram and the basic idea that it is
JUST possible for a diode to blow short circuit rather then open
circuit, nothing more than a ruthless dedication to 'eliminating the
impossible, till whatever is left must be the truth' was sufficient.

A friend had her clutch replaced, followed by the indicators blowing a
fuse each time you used them. Without a circuit diagram I was stuck -
walked to the library and within two minutes found that the reversing
lights are on the same circuit. Ah - easy then, the reversing switch
wire was caught in the bellhousing. And so it was.

Without the diagram though, I could have struggled for ages.

Clutches on Maxis and Allegros - don't start me! I had 4 Maxis - loved the
space and concept - but mechanical problems? I could change the clutch and
bellhousing oil seal at the side of the road in 45 mins. as a result of
too frequent practising!

Haven't seen an example of either on the road for many a year!

In the running for the world's most ugly cars together with the Austin 1800.
Boy BMC had some stylists in those days. Then they blamed unions for going
out of business.