Posted to uk.d-i-y
Appin Appin is offline

Default Oil Filled Radiator

The message
from "John" contains these words:

Are these OK for batroom use? My Mums bathroom is very cold at the moment
(obviously). She is toying with the idea of a De Longhi radiator with a
hole drilled through the wall and plugged into a socket on the landing. If
I cut the plug off and drill a hole for the cable and re attach the plug
will it be safe using the rad in this situation. I was thinking of
shortening the cable so there would be no chance of it finding it's
way into
the bath.

No, they're not generally OK unless there's no switch or other control
on the radiator. If they had no switch or other control they might be
regarded as OK to fix permanently to the wall and supply via a fused
spur unit.

However, the answer's much simpler. There are heated electric towel
rails built on the same principle, some with a radiant panel in them, to
serve the purpose in bathrooms. Supply it via a fused spur unit. There
you are, designed for the job!

http://www.towelrads.com/product.php?catID=1
http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog...t_brochure.pdf
http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog...20mm_High.html
http://www.grantandstone.co.uk/heati...owel-rails.htm
http://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog...mer_E0350.html

However, for quick and easy comfort, why not try a heat and light
fitting? The comfort effect is far in excess of what you'd expect from
the wattage rating, because it's radiant heat. The cost is low -- a
decent one should be around £30 from Argos or wherever.