Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:12:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 19, 5:15 am, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 04:37:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 18, 6:50 am, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 04:22:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 10, 5:05 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
I saw a clear full body picture of the Omaha shooter. Anyone who
had a
concealed weapon and who could shoot decently could have lessened
the
carnage. If you got a CCW, carry your weapon.

Put your bias aside for a moment, as difficult as I imagine it may be
for you.

No. I enjoy illogical non factual rants to reinforce my long held
prejudices. And honesty enuff to admit it.

Why would you have, seat belts, smoke alarms, fire extinguishers and
first aid kits in your home or vehicle?

Are you expecting a fire or injury or auto accident? Very very few
people ever experience such in their lives. Since they are
exceedingly rare, is it paranoid to have them around or to use them?

By your criteria, it would appear to be so.

Fire alarms - if I go off my brain in the mall, can I pull out my fire
alarm and kill people with it. No. A gun would be better.
Seat belts - they have been compulsory here since the 1970's. Rate of
fatal car crashes has declined by 50% per head of population. I
suppose I could unbolt the seat belt from my car and ram it down
someones throat and so kill them....but a gun would be better.

Im aware of a case where a nutter beat 2 people to death with a fire
extinguisher, and maimed a third.
On the other hand, the FBI and Department of Justice research
indicates that firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens stops
between 800,000 and 1.5 million crimes a year in the US.

Which DOJ is that, Gunner? The DOJ of Swaziland? Here's what the United
States DOJ says:

"On average in 1987-92 about 83,000 crime victims per year used a
firearm to defend themselves or their property."

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/ascii/hvfsdaft.txt

That's about 0.00027 of the US population -- less than 3 for every 10,000
people. Your accuracy average has really been in a slump lately. It's
dropped from around 35% to about 5%.

--
Ed Huntress