Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Take yer gun to the mall

"SteveB" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Dec 19, 5:47 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Awash with guns" indeed. What poppycock -- and such persistent
poppycock it seems to be!

Well, if not "awash," what the hell do you call a society of 300 million
people and 250 million guns? Askew? g

--
Ed Huntress

I don't think "awash" is the right word. You wouldn't say that we are
awash with cars, would you? Awash implies that there are more than
what anyone knows what to do with the large quanity.

Say one has one 12 gauge pump or automatic shotgun to use for hunting
waterfowl. And another 12 gauge over and under for hunting upland
birds. And a twenty gauge pump or automatic for shooting skeet in the
20 gauge class. I am assuming you can get by with using one of your
12 gauge shotguns for the 12 gauge class and that you don't compete
in the 28 gauge and .410 classes.

Then you might want a .22 and a .38 target pistol. A .22 target
rifle, a .22 to plink with, a .22 center fire for varmit shooting.
Say a .243 for deer hunting and a larger rifle for bigger game.

Well that get you up to 10 guns. And while that may seem like a lot,
they are all suited for different things. So I wouldn't say you were
awash in guns. And none of these are what you would want to have to
carry concealed. And none of them are assault rifles. Also no black
powder guns , collectors guns, or Saturday night specials.

Would you say someone was awash with machine tools because he has a
lathe, drill press, vertical mill, and a bandsaw?

Dan

So, you have roughly one gun per person in the US. If they would ONLY
count the people who own NO guns, that is a figure I would find more
reality based, as in my household, we have enough for about 25

As I have enough for around 10 (eight guns). Which makes me scratch my head
over the claim that 60% of US households have at least one gun. But I
haven't looked into the methodology of that claim. I think it comes from a
Census survey or something.

more or less. Does that mean I'm awash?

Countries can be awash with guns. Individuals are bristling. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress