GeoffH

Default Gunner: I'm back

Welcome back Gunner.
It's a wake up call no mistake.
Had an MI 23rd January '89 with no warning at all.
Sitting watching baseball finals on TV, midnight here in the UK, and
chest pains that just would not go away.
Somehow I just knew what was happening and called our emergency
services who arrived inside 5 minutes - the longest 5 minutes I have
ever had - they wired me up to their portable heart monitor and
confirmed a heart attack.
Ended up in Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Aylesbury, famous for holding
the Paraplegic Games, and its spinal injury facilities.
Spent two weeks there recovering.
Bottom part of the heart muscle damaged only.

Oh..and I will be quitting smoking (or trying really hard) as I need
lead a bit more healthy a life style. Shrug..this is gonna be a total
bitch and will likely be harder than undergoing the other stuff..I
have quit 14 times before...sigh...

You WILL NOT regret this move.
I didn't.
It reached fever pitch for me about 3 weeks after getting out of
hospital.
Sunday evening around 8pm my nerves where jangling from nicotine
deprivation. Ready to climb up the wall.
Decided to go to our corner shop/store to buy a pack of 10 smokes just
to kill the craving.
Got to the shop and thank God it was closed.
Took this as a sign and did not walk the mile or so into town to local
supermarket.
Cravings stopped there and then.
For the next couple of years it was just a case of "something missing"
after a meal or coffee etc, all craving gone.
After 4 years just a total relief that I had stopped smoking.
Absolutely the best thing I could have done!!
Now I cannot stand being in a smokey room or even around anyone that
is or has smoked.
You will know what I mean in the months and years to come.
This intense dislike grew and didn't happen overnight.
I lead a normal life and just watch salt and fat intake.
Not easy in the UK where all processed food is saturated with the
stuff.
Only time I think of it is when I am out walking in cold weather and
slight angina sets in if I walk too fast.
When I see what could have happened to me, I sure am happy.
Get well soon and do give up the weed.
Regards
GeoffH
Norfolk - UK not VA