Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Just how dificult can fixing a boiler be (long)?

Phil wrote:
On 20 Dec, 23:43, Ed Sirett snip tale of woes
I feel years older than I did at the start. I am coming to the conclusion
that the key skill for 'plumbing' is not, "the knowledge", strength of
grip or a van full of "bits" but FORTITUDE.

The FAQ for uk.diy is athttp://www.diyfaq.org.uk
Gas fitting FAQ �http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html
Sealed CH FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html
Choosing a Boiler FAQhttp://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html

Agreed - having been in the electronics repair industry - sometimes
it's not what you know, but how many different ways you have of
applying it!

Indeed. Algorithmic approaches to problem solving. Eliminating issues
with a faith that what worked once, will work gain if only the right
defective bit can be replaced correctly.

The skill is in shortening that process down so its the first or second,
not the 50th or 60th bit, you replace.

And nothing beats experience at that..the time we wondered into Unipart
with a MAXI gearbox casing, and the man saw us come in, didn't wait to
speak to us,. vanished, and reappeared two minutes later with three
parts "you need those: The casing you will have to get from a scrapyard,
Do fit the locking washer. I bet you didn't find one in there, did you?
There you go. That's WHY its like that..".

I remember another ]occasion 'why do you have in particular a camshaft
fror a 2 liter Ford engine up there on display"

"Because that's the thing most people come into us aksing for"

BUt to GET the expereience, takes the right ATTITUDE.

Instead of 'Gearbox is leaking oil: sell the car" its 'well it didn't
used to, so let's take it apart and find out why...'

Phil.