Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attaching 1/4" or 3/8" Drywall to Horsehair Plaster Ceiling (No Wood)

wrote in message
My apartment ceiling remodel has ground to a halt. The contractor
discovered that there are no wood studs above my horsehair plaster and
steel lathe ceiling (circa 1895), only metal and concrete. (The
building was originally a hotel.) He thought (eronneously) that he'd
be able to screw 5/8" drywall directly to the plaster and that it
would hold. The city inspector thought otherwise, and advised that we
hire and architect to design framing to support the drywall.

By the way, I don't think you need an architect to design framing. A smart
carpenter should be able to do this. Hell...a bunch of Amish people can
raise a barn in a day without architects.