Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default Circuit Breaker Panel Question

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:58:20 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote Re Circuit Breaker Panel
Question:

Roman history amongst others...

Do you have any specific references for that? Something someone could
check out?

History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire — Volume 1 by
Gibbon

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/890 or

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/731

Of course, you also need to read Volumes 2 & 3.

I saved that to read later. Any specific sections you recommend?

No. Just start at page 1. Seriously, it's not only facinating history,
but Gibbon's style of writting is beautiful. It has a ticking
clock-like cadence that makes it almost poetry to read. The entire
3000 pages are a joy. I read the paper-books twice (once in college
many years ago and once again about 10-years ago).

Here's a quote from the first paragraph of the first chapter:

===== start quote ========

In the second century of the Christian Æra, the empire of Rome
comprehended the fairest part of the earth, and the most civilized
portion of mankind. The frontiers of that extensive monarchy were
guarded by ancient renown and disciplined valor. The gentle but
powerful influence of laws and manners had gradually cemented the
union of the provinces. Their peaceful inhabitants enjoyed and abused
the advantages of wealth and luxury. The image of a free constitution
was preserved with decent reverence: the Roman senate appeared to
possess the sovereign authority, and devolved on the emperors all the
executive powers of government.

=== end quote ==========

If you can't get a hard copy, I reccomend the html version.