Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_2_] Bob Minchin[_2_] is offline

Default Router breakout

jon wrote:
I'm aware that a piece of wood (I forget its name) can be used to
prevent the break out as a router bit exists its cut from ruining the
work piece. I have a "breakfast bar" that needs finishing using a
router. This has both edges finished as a curve making the use of a
sacrificial piece of wood difficult/impossible. Anyone know if routing a
worktop like this will cause problems or does chipboard behave
differently anyway?

Thanks,
Jon...

Are you talking about two profiled edges meeting at a corner with the
others unprofiles eg two adjacent edges against a wall and the other two
not?
If so, there are two ways I know
1 run the router edge 1 towards the profiled corner using scrap to
prevent breakout. profile edge 2 away from the corner and running into a
second scrap piece.
or
2 cut a radius on the corner to be profiled about an inch or more
radius. then run the router along edge 1 , round the radius and along
edge 2 and end in the scrap as method 1.

Bob