Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Silicone sealant: price range

On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for.

But, as with most things, its not a linear, nor monotonic,
relationship. Increasing price doesn't mean higher quality at all data
points.

MBQ

The point was that the cost is not simply the purchase price of the
item, but the cost of replacing it and the additional time and
materials for doing so.

For that reason, I buy known good brands and products such as Dow
Corning where performance is good, known and predictable.

Discussing a £6 price difference is academic when all is taken into account.