Old December 19th 07, 01:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Silicone sealant: price range

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

Thanks
Mike

Old December 19th 07, 02:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

Thanks
Mike

You get what you pay for. For basin / bath you want one with anti-mould
properties.

Old December 19th 07, 02:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

My experience as a reasonably new house owner leads me to believe that the
trade use the cheapest. They don't care if it goes mouldy in a year and
crumbles in two. I have had to spend days digging out poor quality failing
silicone. So how would you value your time? - how much extra would you be
prepared to pay to avoid digging out and redoing the job in a couple of
years?

There seems to be two kinds of silicone - that which produces an acetic acid
smell and that which is water based. But I don't know which is best.

Davy

Old December 19th 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for. Early failure means having to re-do the
job plus the cost of a silicone remover product to it. It's a false
economy to buy unknown cheap rubbish.

Dow Corning have a wide variety of products all with detailed
specifications on their suitability. IME, they exceed the claimed
specs and lifetimes.

Old December 19th 07, 03:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?
What brand do people in the trade use?

As others have said (or implied) you get what you pay for here possibly more
than most places.
Dow Corning 785 has its followers on this group and I am one of them.
Re-furbished bathroom in 2004, sealer shows no signs of deterioration or
discolouring let alone mould.
This is at the upper end of your price range - upto 7 if memory serves!
Worth ringing round though, ISTR getting the stuff for 3 not that long
ago - may have been mislabelled!!!
Check use by date before purchase - shelf life about a year.

However, to avoid mould you should also have good heating and ventilation,
particularly in this weather.

Phil

Old December 19th 07, 09:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article [email protected], Andy Hall writes
On 2007-12-19 12:33:20 +0000, "
said:

How much should I be paying for a decent tube of silicone to seal
around basin and bath?
Screwfix have tubes ranging in price from 2 pounds to over 8 pounds.
At the top end of this price range are you paying for the "label"?

Nope.

You get what you pay for. Early failure means having to re-do the
job plus the cost of a silicone remover product to it. It's a false
economy to buy unknown cheap rubbish.

Dow Corning have a wide variety of products all with detailed
specifications on their suitability. IME, they exceed the claimed
specs and lifetimes.

Excellent products they may be but IME Dow Corning don't give a damn for
the little man and make it very difficult for the average Joe to get a
sniff of their detailed specifications. When I was looking for detailed
info on Dow Corning Plumba Thread there was absolutely nothing
immediately available in the world on the web, I eventually got the info
over the phone from the exceptionally helpful UK rep. He admitted that
the corporate machine was more interested in servicing industry than
small business so I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Old December 20th 07, 11:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:22:57 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

However, to avoid mould you should also have good heating and ventilation,
particularly in this weather.

I find the same silicone is fine in the bathrooms but goes mouldy in
the kitchen. The temperature and ventilation are not a problem IMHO.

Explain that!

M.

Silicone sealant diy-newby UK diy 28 November 2nd 07 05:33 PM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Repair 8 October 31st 07 12:32 PM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 8 October 31st 07 12:32 PM
Silicone Sealant?? PeteD UK diy 4 December 21st 05 12:29 AM
Silicone Sealant Alex Bird UK diy 15 March 16th 04 02:10 PM