Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Small brass parts - Polishing questions

wrote:
A picture of the components would help in giving advice.
Ive followed your method and there a missing link there.
After belt sanding and your rubber wheel, you neeed to go then to a
compressedescotchbright wheel. Madeby 3M.
comes in various grades 6in by 1 in a brown grey colour.
not a hardone.
This will eliminate your felt wheel part and theres no clogging. then
you go to a white cotton mop with your whi compo.
this will be the fastest way.
hope this helps.
For some of the things I make I go straight from the belt sander to the
scotch wheel, then to the cotton mop.

Ted
Dorset
UK.
silver smith and minter.

Ok. My site is
www.basscapos.com. I think we might be talking about
the same thing on the wheel. I don't remember exactly what it is, but
it quickly removes all the sanding scratches and still shapes
aggressively. From there I can quickly bring a shine with the hard
felt wheel with much less dust that a regular cotton buff. I then
finish with the red rouge on a spiral cotton wheel, which I find makes
the shine last much longer than when I stop with the white stuff.

I am working in a small space, so the dust issue is a motivator for
the felt wheel. But, I remember when I used to use tripoli on regular
wheels I was constantly cleaning them too. Maybe I'm just anal?

Nice work, and nice product.

Guess we are usinng the same wheel!!.
You say confined space? in which to work,
dry sanding and cutting IS a health /lung risk.
youll need to use a proper cuff type micron dust filter respirator,
or install proper vacumn dust extraction.
Otherwise you will pay dearly with your health.
Do this properly!!