Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default Why do contractors subcontract electricians?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:10:50 -0800 (PST), Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. What I was really getting at is whether
I should do it myself and what I've gathered from the responses is:
yes, I should.

Here's my situation. I realize that this will take me a week (or two!)
where it would take a professional electrician a day and a half. And I
may/will make mistakes. These are the cons.

But the pros are these:

1. I really enjoy it.
2. I save $3000, at least.
3. I will have a licensed electrician inspect my work for about $70.
(So make that savings of $3000 - 2*$70, since I'm sure there will be
mistakes to correct and the inspection will have to take place twice.)
I've had two electricians say that they would do this for me...

Don't bother with the electrician unless the person is somebody you know
well. There is too much of an incentive for the electrician to spin a tale
of thousands of dollars of work that is needed to bring it up to code.

If you know what you're doing, then pull a permit, do the work yourself,
and let the city do the inspection. They're going to anyway.