Posted to alt.home.repair
europeanvic europeanvic is offline

Default Why do contractors subcontract electricians?

On Dec 18, 8:40 am, Steve wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote on 18 Dec 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

Aaron Fude wrote:
Suppose you are remodeling your kitchen and all the necessary
circuits have been run from the electrical box to the kitchen. It
seems like the rest is the easiest part of the project: setting up
the electrical boxes and the switches, and connecting the devices.
Then why do general contractors don't do that part themselves but
still subcontract it out to the pricey electricians? I understand
that they pass that cost to the homeowner, but still it would have
been more profitable to it themselves.

What am I missing?

The lack of a license.

And insurance. As a handyman, my business insurance specifically prohibits
me from doing electrical installation, which requires a license. I can do
repairs and fixture installs, but not installation of new lines and boxes.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

I agree the insurance is the main reason. If you are not licensed the
insurance does not cover it and if something happened with your house
they will not pay.
http://www.planorealestateadvisor.com