Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default 'nother plumbing question - strapping pipes

Nate Nagel wrote:

I need to strap up some loose pipes... bought a handful of pipe straps
at the local Big Box today, but here's the question - how do I secure
them? I was thinking, since I'm strapping up copper pipes with copper
straps, shouldn't I use copper nails or screws to prevent galvanic
corrosion? Is this common practice, or are regular zinc plated steel
nails and/or screws OK? I could have sworn I'd seen copper nails in the
past but couldn't find them today.

I also ask because there's obviously loose straps in my basement where
it appears that steel nails were driven directly into cinder block and
the nails have now disintegrated, would it be OK to use plastic anchors
and SS screws there, or are copper screws available/advisable? (don't
recall seeing those...)

Yes, I am apparently taking the DIY home-study course in plumbing this
winter.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If you're talking about the individual two hole straps, the last time I
bought a box of them at my plumbing supply place, they came with a bag
of copper nails to match the straps. This was a box of 100, since I
always by in larger packages and use the excess to stock my plumbing kit
for future projects.