Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default Why do contractors subcontract electricians?

On Dec 18, 6:57 am, "JimR" wrote:
"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Suppose you are remodeling your kitchen and all the necessary circuits
have been run from the electrical box to the kitchen. It seems like
the rest is the easiest part of the project: setting up the electrical
boxes and the switches, and connecting the devices. Then why do
general contractors don't do that part themselves but still
subcontract it out to the pricey electricians? I understand that they
pass that cost to the homeowner, but still it would have been more
profitable to it themselves.

What am I missing? I feel like there must be something about it that's
not easy that I'm not seeing. I've been adding electrical outlets and
installing fixtures and doing stuff like that myself since I bought
the house and it's certainly easier than carpentry. Perhaps it's the
regulations? Anyway, please let me know what you think.

Aaron

From the homeowner's point of view -- (a) There's probably enough to do that
a professional electrician will be able to do it faster and not interfere
with other trades, so the manhour cost may not be much different, and (b)
besides what everyone else has said, warranty. If something breaks or goes
wrong after installation the contractor doesn't want to be the one who has
to go back and fix it -- the sub will take care of it.

Here in MN, electrical work MUST be done by either the homeowner or a
licensed electrician.license to do electrical work.