Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default More than one wire to a hole/set-screw on neutral bus bar?

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

stuff snipped

If it comes down to availability, I would just get whatever neutral bar

was
available from the electrical supply. I know Lowes and Home Depot sell
ground bars, but I am not sure if they have the neutral bars. You will
probably need to drill and tap a few holes to mount it or use self

drilling
sheet metal screws.

That's exactly what I did. Got a Cutler-Hammer grounding bus bar that
looked like it matched what was in the box, but it didn't. It has machine
screws, so I'll probably have to mount it with self-taps if I decide not to
return it. It will allow me to remove some ground wires that are now
mounted in the box's neutral bus bar and relocated them to the new ground
bar. Oddly enough, if I do that, it free just enough neutral holes so that
every breaker can have its own neutral bus bar set screw hole, which is
probably how the panel was designed (this is old, two wire constructions
from the 40's as you can see by the cloth insulation).

The scoop from Square D is that there are no supplemental neutral bus bars
for that model box, but the illustration inside the box differs and the
threaded screw holes on the front of the second bar say otherwise as well.
I doubt the guy who responded was even *born* when my model box was sold,
and I suspect their answer to a lot of questions like mine is "you need a
new box." I will check out Lowe's and HD before I decide what to do on the
off chance they have something the electrical supply house didn't.

Thanks for the photo BTW.

Glad to see it made it through and that I am not under house arrest by
netcops. I think it's important when asking for potentially hazardous
advice to let people see what I am actually talking about because it may be
very different from what they think I am describing.

Thanks again for all the help,

--
Bobby G.