Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default how do you weatherstrip a warped door?

On Dec 17, 2:16 pm, Joe wrote:
I bought some weatherstripping to try to insulate around the edges of
my back door to keep the cold air from coming through the seal and
noticed that the top of my door warps out so the thin weatherstripping
won't seal. If I build up the weatherstripping to meet it then it bows
out the bottom. Is there any other way to achieve a tight seal on a
warped door??

One thing you could do would be to pull off the stops and reattach
parallel to the warped edge of the door.

Another thing you could do would be to get the kind of
weatherstripping that doesn't go between the door and the stop, but
the kind that has a wood strip with some foam attached to it. You
place this on the side of the stop, press up to the closed door, and
then nail in place. Automatically compensates for any misalignmnet
between the door and the stops.

Finally, another thing (that I wouldn't recommend) would be to add
shorter strips of weatherstripping to build up thickness only in the
areas where the door is bowed away from the stops.

Ken