Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default More than one wire to a hole/set-screw on neutral bus bar?

wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:51:35 -0500, "Robert Green"

stuff snipped

Certainly adding supplimental bars is a better way to go but don't put
neutrals on suplimental bars, only grounds. If you put a neutral on
the supplimental bars you are putting circuit current through the
metal can and the green bonding screw.
(that is 250.6 for you code guys)

Now I understand what you're saying because I see that in newer boxes the
ground bar is along the side and the neutral bar is physically about a foot
away above the circuit breaker stack.

I went to the local supply house but all they had was a Cutler Hammer
supplemental grounding bar (the set screws are all painted green) that
looked as though it might piggyback onto the existing neutral bus bar. It
doesn't. )-: I might be able to redrill and cut it to fit, but it seems to
be as bad a solution as doubling up the neutrals with more than one to a
setscrew.

I'm hoping now to find a supplier via the internet for the box. Hopefully I
can find a:

Square D QOC-20MW supplemental neutral bus bar

somewhere on the net. Any pointers to good on-line suppliers appreciated.
The Square D site (apparently now Schneider) had nothing listed under the
QOC-20MW product number. )-:

--
Bobby G.