Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default 8/4 Cost Per Boardfoot Versus 4/4 Cost?

On Dec 14, 12:55 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:02:12 -0500, Ron c.
wrote:

You can find locally produced wood from your area just as cheep if you
look hard enough. Also, go the the websites of portable sawmills,
(Woodmizer, etc.) They have lists of people who have bought their
machines. Find someone in your area and contact them. Have them call
you when they have lumber to sell.

Have you ever actually been to any of areas some of us live in?

Charlie Self, remember "East Westchester County"? G

I have absolutely no way to store more than say, 150 bf/ft of stock,
much less unusable stock that isn't dry. Since a 1/2 acre empty lot
in my neighborhood goes for ~$75,000, I think the lumber dealer is
providing me with a good value by holding all that stock until I need
it. G

I was born in Yonkers, raised in an area including Mt. Vernon, N.
Pelham, New Rochelle, and then up to Katonah and the "country."
Actually, when we moved ther ein '53, Katonah was pretty much country.
I left Westchester in January 1958, and have had no reason to return
for about 35 years now. The friends I had from that era are living in
places like Santa Barbara and upstate NY and Arizona and Nevada.