Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Tapping aluminum (or tapping on wood?)

Mike Henry wrote:

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
Mechanical Magic wrote:
Yes, normal taps work fine in Aluminum. Check to make sure you
grabbed the correct drill size, always measure tap drills before
using.

I try not to machine when in a hurry or frustrated. Instead of making
it work, I just unshipped the collet, put away the clamps and cleaned
up my mill.

I see that Windex is supposed to be a good tapping fluid for
aluminum... Was looking on the web to see who handles Tapmagic in
southern Wisconsin... When Beloit Machine Supply closed, there's not
much machinist stuff around local...

WD-40 works and is available almost everywhere.

Before I can return to the fun stuff, I've got to clear my driveway.
Time to fire up my automatic snow shovel... Oh damn, the battery's dead.
Where's the idiot stick....

4" of powder in Wisconsin. Tax that, Governor Doyle!