Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default "squeezing" thin wall brass tubing

wrote:
I have to replicate some brass tubes that are used in a carburetor.
The tubes are .093 OD, and .015 wall. The original tubes are 2" long,
with the end .250 reduced down to .067 OD, which has an ID drilled and
sized to .030. I know that I could solder and drill the .093 tubing
and make it work, but I need to make this just like the OE tubing, so
I need to know if this is something I can do in my lathe? I need to
do about 25 of them for the first run.

If anyone can shed some light on this procedure, or has any positive
and helpful comments, please share!

I couldnt answer IF you can do it in your lathe,
apart from turn it out of the solid.
Also I dont think I could do it in my lathe,
but I know I could do it in my draw bench.
this is 12ft long and will draw a 5ft length of material.
Its dated from about 1850 or so.
I drawn lots of tube down from big, ie 1/2 in down to 1/4, and 1/4in
down to 1/8in od.
when you draw metal through a die it is swaged down to the die size with
a thou or so of elastic respring.
If you drew some tube through a die of the right size then pulled it
back out, you then could cut out the bit you wanted.
In the older drawing process the drawtongs do crush the tube end so
that has to be cut off before it can be used as tube..
As an afterhought, you could turn up a mandrel to fit the internal
dimensions of the tube, over that an extenal steel tube to support it
lengththe same as the unswaged section. then make a die that you could
put on a drill press ,put the mandrel in the chuck, with the tube over
this then the collar over this. #
Hold in place and bring down the chuck to push the tube end into the die
to swage it down,
Use a bit of candle wax or oil as a lube.