Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default More than one wire to a hole/set-screw on neutral bus bar?

wrote in message

stuff snipped

Not sure I understand this. This is a very old (well circa 1981) panel.

have a photograph but I think the Usenet police forbid posting same here.
It looks like a supplemental bar would screw into the two existing bars

and
wouldn't contact anything except the existing bars. This is old,

ungrounded
wiring. The panel was a "heavy up" added so that the buyer could qualify
for an FHA sale. Next time I go downstairs, I'll copy all the important
info.

If you can find a kit that piggybacks on the neutral bus you can
connect neutral wires to it but most supplimental kits just screw to
the enclosure in factory tapped holes. That is fine for ground wires
but you don't want neutral wires on that kind of bus. It puts circuit
current through the metal enclosure.

I don't know if the picture of the panel made it through, but there are two
bus bars at the top of the circuit breaker "stack" - one screwed into the
other and the outermost one have two tapped screw holes that look like a
third bar could be attached. The drawings on the label show three different
models of this box - one has one bar, one has two and the third illustration
shows three bars. What I need looks like a 8" strip of metal drilled with
holes and accompanying setscrews. I'll report back when I get to the supply
house. I was unable to get there on Friday so it's got to wait until
Monday.

Thanks for your help!

--
Bobby G.