Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default More than one wire to a hole/set-screw on neutral bus bar?

wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:17:55 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

If you can find a kit that piggybacks on the neutral bus you can
connect neutral wires to it but most supplimental kits just screw to
the enclosure in factory tapped holes. That is fine for ground wires
but you don't want neutral wires on that kind of bus. It puts circuit
current through the metal enclosure.

I see. The bus bar that I am hoping to find should be a piggy back type
that screws into the existing bus bars, essentially adding another "tier"

of
holes and setscrews. It doesn't connect to the panel enclosure, but

seems
to be electrically isolated from it. It would seem that the screws that
hold the new bus bar to the old two would be able to carry a lot of

current
but I believe I will take a large piece of wire to connect the two bars

as
advised previously. I'm just hoping I can find something to fit a 26
year-old circuit panel.

You posted the relevent information. The model number of the panel and
the part number of the neutral kits listed for it should be all you
need if you go to a real electrical supplier. The Home store *may*
have it but you will probably have to figure out which one it is
yourself.

I've copied down the numbers and taken some photographs to take to the local
electrical supply shop. Hopefully, they know what's required in this
jurisdiction. There are 100's of house in this neighborhood all built the
same.

You can poke around on the SqD web site to see what they have

http://www.us.squared.com/us/squared...FEF20769F701BC
985256DDB0073B0F6/$file/SqDUSHomeFrameset.htm

Thanks for the URL. I'll give it a look.

--
Bobby G.