Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Circuit Breaker Panel Question

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:00:06 -0800 (PST), BoyntonStu
wrote:

Gentlemen re-start your engines!

3 wires from the outside come inside to the breaker box.

A 100 AMP double breaker labeled "MAIN" receives the 2 hot wires.

The neutral is wired to ground.

The output of the 2 MAIN breakers (when switched ON) goes to 2
vertical busses.

We are examining the left (odd) side column of breakers; 13 and 15.

Question 1. Are 13 and 15 on the same leg? (I assume so)

Question 2. What should the black of 15 measure to a lifted white
wire?

On my panel (Square D), breaker positions down the left side are
numbered:

1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19

and on the right side:

2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20

1,2,5,6,9,10,13,14,17,18

are on one leg.

3,4,7,8,11,12,15,16,19,20

are on the other. Any 2 adjacent positions are on different legs,
allowing the use of a double pole 240V breaker in any 2
vertically-adjacent positions.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"