Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit Breaker Panel Question

"BoyntonStu" wrote in message
Gentlemen re-start your engines!

3 wires from the outside come inside to the breaker box.

A 100 AMP double breaker labeled "MAIN" receives the 2 hot wires.

The neutral is wired to ground.

The output of the 2 MAIN breakers (when switched ON) goes to 2
vertical busses.

We are examining the left (odd) side column of breakers; 13 and 15.

Question 1. Are 13 and 15 on the same leg? (I assume so)

Question 2. What should the black of 15 measure to a lifted white
wire?

If the white wire is from circuit 13 and there is an energized load on it
will probably be between 220 - 240 volts and zero. With no load it should be
zero. If the white wire is from circuit 15 the reading can be anywhere from
120 to zero depending on the load or no-load.
Usually breakers alternate phases on the same column. So between breaker 13
and 15 you should have 220 -240 volts because they are opposite phases.

What brand of circuit breaker panel is this? What was the problem that you
originally experienced that caused you to call an electrician in the first
place?