Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tim Phipps Tim Phipps is offline

Default Dell Dimension Desk Top

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"JANA" writes:

You will have to go with the original parts for DELL. They are proprietary.

Is this true of all their power supplies now? Are they just designed
to be non-standard to prevent swapping with standard ones?

NO, this is not true now. The older Dell desktops did use proprietary
designs - e.g. some had an ATX style connector but the pinout was
different.

I can't speak for all their current models but I recently worked on a
Dimension 5000 with a dead PSU. I replaced it with a standard off the
shelf 24-pin ATX unit. The original Dell PSU had a taller casing but
the screw holes were in the standard pattern to mount a regular ATX PSU.
I just needed to make a little cut in the rear panel to accomodate the
position of the IEC mains inlet on the replacement unit.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email