Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dell Dimension Desk Top

I got a call from someone who has a Dell Dimension Desktop computer that
won't "come on".
They had a "Geek Squad" person look it over - the person said the 250w PS
was shot. There was 5v on one side but not the other. Then - those parts
were hard to get a hold of.

"I" am asking because I don't deal with Dell - I can't stand them for my own
reasons. SO - is there available power supplies out there - or do we have to
kiss Dell's ass for one?

Opinions please - so I know whether I need to call Dell or can go most
anywhere.

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"radiosrfun" wrote in message
I got a call from someone who has a Dell Dimension Desktop computer that
won't "come on".
They had a "Geek Squad" person look it over - the person said the 250w PS
was shot. There was 5v on one side but not the other. Then - those parts
were hard to get a hold of.

"I" am asking because I don't deal with Dell - I can't stand them for my
own reasons. SO - is there available power supplies out there - or do we
have to kiss Dell's ass for one?

Opinions please - so I know whether I need to call Dell or can go most
anywhere.

Thanks

Dell power supplies are usually (always?) proprietary, you may be able to
find one on ebay though, or repair the original power supply. As far as
proprietary off the shelf machines go, Dell is excellent, over the years the
vast majority of computers I've had at work have been Dell, and it's what I
recommend to anyone who doesn't feel like building their own or customizing
it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radiosrfun wrote:
I got a call from someone who has a Dell Dimension Desktop computer that
won't "come on".
They had a "Geek Squad" person look it over - the person said the 250w PS
was shot. There was 5v on one side but not the other. Then - those parts
were hard to get a hold of.

"I" am asking because I don't deal with Dell - I can't stand them for my own
reasons. SO - is there available power supplies out there - or do we have to
kiss Dell's ass for one?

Opinions please - so I know whether I need to call Dell or can go most
anywhere.

Older Dell motherboards had the same type of PSU ATX connector as used
on other companies ATX connector, but crucially they wired it up
differently (some thing which can apparently be undone to use a standard
supply)

Later motherboards are back to the industry standard pinout so you may
be lucky.

Your "Geek Squad" guy, if he had been a Real Geek would have known this.

What series is the Dimension computer?

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Adrian C" wrote in message
radiosrfun wrote:
[...]

I would have to inquire about the "series". "I" got a call from the owner -
"I" didn't call the "Geek Squad". I think "maybe" the owner is wondering if
it can be repaired and not being ripped off. Her dad knows me - so might be
the "Second opinion" deal. But as I explained - I'm not a "Dell" person - so
I told them I would inquire - to see what info I could come up with. I knew
someone on here would have some ideas and I THANK YOU.

Lou

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You will have to go with the original parts for DELL. They are proprietary.

Apparently, their computers are very good. I know of a number of companies
that are using many DELL computers for their operations, including DELL
servers. Their performance and dependability is very good.

--

JANA
_____

"radiosrfun" wrote in message
I got a call from someone who has a Dell Dimension Desktop computer that
won't "come on".
They had a "Geek Squad" person look it over - the person said the 250w PS
was shot. There was 5v on one side but not the other. Then - those parts
were hard to get a hold of.

"I" am asking because I don't deal with Dell - I can't stand them for my own
reasons. SO - is there available power supplies out there - or do we have to
kiss Dell's ass for one?

Opinions please - so I know whether I need to call Dell or can go most
anywhere.

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thank you and the rest for your replies. I have also alerted the owner of
this. I guess the question is now - if the store who sent the "Geek Squad"
out - can do this or not? I know that some companies - being "proprietary"
won't ship parts out to just anyone - unless you're an authorized center -
which for Dell - I'm not. As I said, I'm not personally into Dell, so I have
not paid any attention to any places around here who "might" be service
centers.

Dell - seems to have come a long way since their inception - so I do credit
them - there. I agree I see many using them - banks, etc..

I called them once about the "price" of a computer - telling the fruitcake I
spoke with - I was "pricing only". He gave me a couple prices of systems - a
desktop and laptop - with what I said I would need. He then asked which
system I would like to order and I said "none" - I told you I was getting
prices only - I'm shopping around. He got ****ed and said "you wasted my
time just for that - and kept babbling on. I told him, pal - first of all -
you must be a complete deaf and dumb moron. Do you not understand what I
said - about "getting a price only"? You just lost ANY sale you might have
had for your company and your Commission. So - maybe I'm being a bit harsh
with Dell due to some asshole - but that was my reason for not "liking"
Dell. OH and the kicker is - the asshole spoke perfect English, so there was
no language barrier. I can only wonder how many other "shoppers" - he or
they hoodwinked into "buying" with a "guilt trip".

"JANA" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"JANA" writes:

You will have to go with the original parts for DELL. They are proprietary.

Is this true of all their power supplies now? Are they just designed
to be non-standard to prevent swapping with standard ones?

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Me, call the geek squad? Not only NO, but H..L NO! I can figure out
stuff on my own.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:
"JANA" writes:

You will have to go with the original parts for DELL. They are proprietary.

Is this true of all their power supplies now? Are they just designed
to be non-standard to prevent swapping with standard ones?

NO, this is not true now. The older Dell desktops did use proprietary
designs - e.g. some had an ATX style connector but the pinout was
different.

I can't speak for all their current models but I recently worked on a
Dimension 5000 with a dead PSU. I replaced it with a standard off the
shelf 24-pin ATX unit. The original Dell PSU had a taller casing but
the screw holes were in the standard pattern to mount a regular ATX PSU.
I just needed to make a little cut in the rear panel to accomodate the
position of the IEC mains inlet on the replacement unit.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Me, call the geek squad? Not only NO, but H..L NO! I can figure out
stuff on my own.
cuhulin

In case ya missed it - the "owner" called them, not me. "I" was called for a
second opinion. The owner told her father about it, he knows me - so he
asked me. That is the extent of my involvement to date - aside from my
questions here and relaying said info back. You wouldn't catch me calling
them either. I repair my own stuff and others - quite well without help -
except when I have brain freeze!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

radiosrfun wrote:

I got a call from someone who has a Dell Dimension Desktop computer that
won't "come on".
They had a "Geek Squad" person look it over - the person said the 250w PS
was shot. There was 5v on one side but not the other. Then - those parts
were hard to get a hold of.

"I" am asking because I don't deal with Dell - I can't stand them for my own
reasons. SO - is there available power supplies out there - or do we have to
kiss Dell's ass for one?

Opinions please - so I know whether I need to call Dell or can go most
anywhere.

Thanks

'Dimension' is a series of computers, and I can't recall one I've
seen that I can't buy a power supply for. Get the actual model number
and look online.

You can also get the part number off the original power supply, and
use a search engine to locate a replacement.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=unknown&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from= R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=Dell+Dimension+power+suppl y&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts= 1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&f sop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=
shows 520 power supplies for Dell Dimension, right now.

BTW, what do you expect from a guy who bites the heads off live
chickens? 'Geeks' are circus performers, while 'Nerds' are techies.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=1&dfsp=32&fro
shows 520 power supplies for Dell Dimension, right now.

BTW, what do you expect from a guy who bites the heads off live
chickens? 'Geeks' are circus performers, while 'Nerds' are techies.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

It's easy for you to act though online ****er. You're still the same
dumbass. You will get killed with a little needle.