Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Circuit Breaker Panel Question

In article , BoyntonStu wrote:
Gentlemen re-start your engines!

3 wires from the outside come inside to the breaker box.

A 100 AMP double breaker labeled "MAIN" receives the 2 hot wires.

The neutral is wired to ground.

The output of the 2 MAIN breakers (when switched ON) goes to 2
vertical busses.

We are examining the left (odd) side column of breakers; 13 and 15.

Question 1. Are 13 and 15 on the same leg? (I assume so)

Why do you assume that? The probability is very high that they are *not*. The
typical arrangement is for the stabs to alternate legs vertically. That is,
the top stab in each column will be on leg A, the second stab in each column
on leg B, the third on leg A, and so on -- so with the left column designated
as 1, 3, 5, ... then 1 and 2 are on leg A, 3 and 4 on B, 4 and 5 on A, and so
on.

In any event, there's no need for you to assume anything: the label inside the
panel door will show you exactly how the stabs are connected to the busses.

Question 2. What should the black of 15 measure to a lifted white
wire?

As I said before, that's impossible to answer without knowing what type of
circuit that white wire is part of, and which breaker(s) the other wire(s) in
that circuit connect to.

--
Regards,