Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 8/4 Cost Per Boardfoot Versus 4/4 Cost?

Ron c. wrote:

I can't believe how much people pay for quality wood. Do a google
search for sawmills in your area, also check
http://www.switchboard.com for them. Then go talk to the owner. Most
small sawmills will sell you whatever you need. I've bought as little
as one board, or 1000bft lots. If you can dry your own wood, it gets
even cheeper. The last lot of birdseye maple I bought was $1.00 a
board foot, $0.50 for character grade walnut, and $0.50 for cherry.
Here's a link to some cheep lumber in East Tennessee:

http://www.tpost.com/results.aspx?key=lumber

And the ads online today:

That'd be dandy if I lived somewhere that had trees.