Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default 8/4 Cost Per Boardfoot Versus 4/4 Cost?

On Dec 14, 8:06 am, Larry Bud wrote:
On Dec 14, 8:02 am, Ron c. wrote:

I can't believe how much people pay for quality wood. Do a google
search for sawmills in your area, also check
http://www.switchboard.comfor them. Then go talk to the owner. Most
small sawmills will sell you whatever you need

I don't have time to blow 4 or 5 hours to drive to the closest
sawmill, especially since I don't have a truck and can only haul
around a few pieces in my Saturn. And if it's to save $50, it's
still not worth it when I could use one of those hours to do some side
programming and make $80.

If you think his figures show a 50 buck savings, then you need to back
off and re-think. A buck a board foot for kiln dried cherry should
yield sufficient FAS, commons and whatnot to save at least 500 bucks.
If you get lucky, that amount could triple.

Can you borrow a truck for a day? Attach a trailer to your Saturn?

One of the fine advantages to country living is that what I don't
have, my friends or neighbors do have, so hauling pretty much anything
isn't a hassle, except for the work and the gas.